For any type of infection, prevention is always the best remedy, and the same is true for toenail fungus. Damp or moist feet are a breeding ground for a toenail fungal infection. Because it can be difficult to get rid of, it is better to take some preventive measures to avoid it. Below are 10 ways you can prevent the pesky growth of fungus on your feet.
To help prevent nail fungal infections and reduce their recurrence, always practice good hygiene and take care of the basics. The following tips can help you avoid toenail fungus.
1. Always keep your feet dry and clean after any wash or before putting on shoes. Fungus thrives in a moist areas so do yourself a favor and don't facilitate it. Dry your feet thoroughly especially in between the toes.
2. Never wear shoes that are too tight on your feet since they will hinder your feet from breathing, causing them to sweat and produce dampness, which we all know is bad. Wear shoes that have enough breathing space especially in the toe box.
3. Keep your toenails trimmed neatly and fungal infection usually happens underneath your toenail.
4. Walking barefoot in public venues with a lot of water, such as pools and showers, can harbor fungi that can cause toenail infection. Buy a pair of flip-flops to use just for high risk areas such as gyms, locker rooms, and public pools.
5. Clean and disinfect your showers at home regularly to eliminate any living fungus. Use apple cider vinegar if you are sensitive to the odor of bleach water mixture. Vinegar is acidic which makes it very effective as bacteria and fungus cannot survive in acidic environment.
6. Put on a clean pair of socks every day. If you tend to sweat heavily, change socks often or as soon as you get a chance. Sweat is the enemy when it comes to fungus. You can also apply medicated foot powder to help your feet stay dry.
7. Clean and sterilize your nail clippers, nail scissors and files after every use. And as much as possible, avoid sharing them with anyone else.
8. Make it a habit to regularly check on your feet and toes to find early signs of infection. This is your chance to in catch a fungus in its early stages. The sooner it’s found out, the sooner it can be treated and the faster they will go away.
9. Use an anti-fungal/bacterial spray to disinfect your shoes especially if you’ve worn them without socks. This will help keep fungi at bay.
10. Do your research and choose a nail salon carefully. Make sure the salon practices clean hygiene and sterilizes its instruments religiously.
Effective Treatment Is Available at Beaute Nails
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, a fungal infection can happen. Though many people attempt to self diagnose, it's best to seek the assistance of skilled nail therapists.
If you believe that you have a fungal nail infection, we recommend you send us a consultation so we can advise you with the best treatment options.
Your Health and Wellbeing are Important To Us
At Beaute Nails, your health and wellbeing are important. We are devoted to providing quality, first-class services, safety and clinical cleanliness for all of our guests at all times. Reward yourself with a relaxing afternoon in the ultimate nail sanctuary in Singapore. Send us a consultation online when you're ready.